Study Abroad in Your Major HomeHow to Get CreditEAP Program SearchDegree Requirements How to Apply

GE Requirements & Study Abroad

  • Some GE requirements can be challenging or impossible to complete abroad. You should plan to complete GE Category I, II, V and VII at UCI instead of abroad.
  • GE Category III, IV, VI, and VIII can more easily be completed abroad - see below examples.
  • Since most GE requirements are lower division at UCI, be sure you check with the School of your major if you want an upper division course abroad to count for a lower division GE. Approval varies greatly by each School.

Sample Options

Category III (Social & Behavioral Sciences)

Take courses during a summer or semester abroad

Category IV (Arts and Humanities)

Take courses during a summer or semester abroad
Category VI (Language Other Than English) Take language courses abroad
Category VIII (International/Global Issues) Automatically fulfill just by studying abroad.  The program must be at least five weeks long and you must complete at least one course worth 4-quarter units. IOP participants must have an approved IOP Academic Planning Tool (available at the Study Abroad Center).

UCIrvine HomepageCenter for Int'l Education Home Prospective StudentsContact Us

(c) 2011 University of California, Irvine
Study Abroad Center