Home : Prospective Participants : Participants : Returnees : Reciprocity Students : Faculty
& Staff
: Contacts : The World at UCI


UCI Study Abroad Center


  • Airline Ticket
  • Fees & Enrollment at UCI
  • How to Prepare
  • Notary
  • Passport
  • Photos
  • Returnee List
  • Student Visa

Airline Ticket

After you have been accepted by your program and know the official dates, confirm with your program to determine if you should buy your airline tickets on your own or if they will be assisting you with this. If needed, advice on buying airline tickets can be found on the Study Abroad Center web site at: Getting There. Students concerned about financing their roundtrip airfare might want to consider STA Travel's Airfare Deposit Program. Questions?  Ask STA Travel.

Fees & Enrollment at UCI

Do NOT enroll in any classes at UCI for any quarter you will be abroad. Note for UCEAP participants: Prior to the fee payment deadline our office will enroll you in place holder units (ex. EDU ABR 1B EAP COUNTRY) so that you maintain your fulltime student status at UCI. These units do not reflect the actual number of units you will take abroad. Final units and grades received while abroad on UCEAP will be posted to your UCI transcript within 90 days of your official program end date.

Do NOT pay registration fees to UCI for any quarter you will be abroad.

Do NOT leave any unpaid bills at UCI (library fines, lab fees, housing fees, USHIP Fee, etc). Check your Zot Account online before you go abroad to make sure you do not owe any money to UCI. Pay any outstanding fees to UCI, including USHIP if you do not typically waive out, before the fee payment deadline.

Do NOT apply to graduate for a term that is before the conclusion of your study abroad program.

DO enroll in classes for the quarter you plan to return to UCI from abroad. You will need to access the Schedule of Classes (SOC) and enroll in classes via the UCI web site. You can view the SOC and find out when your enrollment window opens beginning 7th week, and registration begins 8th week of the preceding quarter. See the Registrar's Course Enrollment web page for more details. Look at the Calendar to see when your enrollment window opens.

DO pay your fees to UCI for the quarter you plan to return to UCI by the fee payment deadline.

How to Prepare

The World at Your Fingertips is an online resource designed to provide you with information to help you prepare (culturally, financially, safely & more) for your experience abroad.

In addition, we encourage you to think about your identity(ies) at home and how those might be perceived, challenged and/or strengthened while abroad. See our Diversity and Inclusion page for details.



If any of your study abroad participation forms require your signature in the presence of a Notary Public, see: Notary Information (PDF).


All Students:

  • A valid passport is required for all participants. If you do not currently have a passport that is valid until at least six months after the end of your program, apply for one immediately.
  • The name on your passport should be the same name that appears on your study abroad program information. Ideally, it should also be the same as your name on your UCI records. You should not officially change your name in the middle of applying for or participating in your study abroad program.

U.S. Citizens:

  • Routine processing for a U.S. passport can take up to 6 weeks. You may visit the UCI Passport Office web site for more information on obtaining a passport. 

Non-U.S. Citizens:

  • Non-U.S. citizens must obtain a passport from the embassy of your country of citizenship.


If any of your study abroad forms or instructions require photos of you, you can obtain them at the UCI Passport Office or the following suggested places:  U.S. Post Office at UTC (appointment required), local drugstores like CVS or RiteAid, or Costco (membership required). 

Returnee List

Access the Study Abroad Center Returnee List to connect with UCI students who have studied abroad, and international students studying at UCI, to ask them questions about your country/program.

Student Visa

U.S. Citizens:

  • If required, information on how to obtain a Student Visa for U.S. citizens should be provided to you by your study abroad program. If you are uncertain as to whether or not you need a visa, ask your study abroad program.

Non-U.S. Citizens:

  • Non-U.S. citizens should contact the consulate of your host country immediately to inquire as to the paperwork necessary to obtain a visa. Processing can take up to 6 months.

Study Abroad Center
University of California, Irvine • Irvine, CA 92697
© 2011 The Regents of the University of California.
All Rights Reserved.

Comments & Questions : Privacy & Legal Notice : Copyright Inquiries