Congratulations and Welcome to IOP!
Here's how you should proceed:
1. Have you picked up the IOP Pre-Departure Requirements 1/2 sheet from the Study Abroad Center?
- NO => STOP! You must complete and submit an Pre-Application form (PDF) to the Study Abroad Center before proceeding. No appointment necessary.
- YES => Continue below.
2. The following items require your attention immediately. Read the appropriate tabs above now and take action as needed:
- IOP Financial Aid
- IOP Credit
- Apply to Your IOP Program
3. Read all emails you receive from the Study Abroad Center and your IOP program or host university as soon as you receive them and take action to meet every deadline. Check your e-mail daily and save all correspondence for reference.
4. Complete the UCI IOP Forms as soon as you are admitted to your program. See tab above.
5. Review the remaining tabs above as they pertain to you.
- If you have any questions, refer to our Questions tab above.
Apply to Your IOP Program
Applying to an IOP program is a two-part process:
1. Apply directly to your IOP program according to their instructions. Some programs may require forms to be completed by your home university or study abroad advisor. For forms requiring disciplinary verification, contact the UCI Office of Student Conduct and request a Dean's Certification. All other forms can dropped off at the Study Abroad Center front desk and then picked up within 48 hours.
2. Complete the IOP Forms for the Study Abroad Center. If applicable, complete the necessary steps for IOP Financial Aid and IOP Credit. See relevant tabs above.
- Read the IMPORTANT information on all of the tabs on How to Get Credit, especially the Credit Limitations tab, as this may have academic and financial aid implications.
- The IOP Academic Planning Tool is required if you want to receive financial aid.
- The IOP Academic Planning Tool is optional if you want to get an idea of how many units you might receive and/or whether you will fulfill any degree requirements (major, minor, or GE). The IOP Academic Planning Tool provides guidance, and is not a guarantee.
IOP Financial Aid
The types of financial aid available and process to follow varies by program. Read our Financial Aid and Scholarships page for details, and follow the action items listed for your program (IOP during the year or IOP summer) immediately.
Mandatory Orientations for programs beginning in Summer or Fall.
Some orientation dates, times, and locations are listed NOW on the RSVP web site. You will be notified via e-mail when remaining orientations have been scheduled. All orientations are for current participants only - no guests please. RSVP by April 7th.
1) Living Abroad Orientation
- This interactive, participatory, experiential orientation led by Study Abroad Center staff will cover common challenges and useful strategies for maximizing your experience abroad. Offered multiple times - attend only once.
2) Country Orientation
- This info-packed orientation led by past participants will cover common FAQ's specifically related to your host country. Offered only once.
Health Insurance While Abroad
READ BOTH SECTIONS I & II BELOW.
I. It is critical that you read the information that pertains to you and follow the instructions on Health Insurance While Abroad.
II. All UCI study abroad participants are strongly advised to register for the UC Traveler Insurance.
- It is FREE! UC already pays the premiums for this insurance. There is NO COST to UCI study abroad participants.
- Coverage includes:
- Emergency medical services (e.g. doctor referrals, emergency medical payments, emergency medical evacuation)
- Toll free 24-hour hotline, which is useful before and while abroad (e.g. questions about medications, feeling sick and have questions, if there is an emergency and have questions, etc.)
- Receive security alerts via e-mail, text, or phone app
- To have full access to these benefits, be sure to register!
Need to Know Information
Read about things you may Need to Know. Topics on this link include:
- Scholarships & Financial Aid
UCI IOP Forms
1. Confirmation Form & Liability Waiver (PDF). Complete once admitted to your IOP program. This form also includes instructions for submitting a copy of your acceptance notification from your program and your completed UC Traveler Insurance registration. Note: If your program is in a country with a current U.S. State Department Travel Warning, contact your Study Abroad Center Advisor to obtain an Alternate Waiver form and the IOP Safety Instructions and Risk Acknowledgement.
2. IOP Advance Readmission form. Required only if all of the below are true:
- You will be abroad one or more quarters during the academic year
- You will return to UCI
- You are not an International Student (i.e. J visa or F visa holder)
- This ensures that you will not be assessed fees at UCI for the quarter(s) you are abroad and that you will be able to register for courses at UCI upon your return.
- Pick up hard copy from the Study Abroad Center.
- If you normally receive financial aid, you must turn in this form by the UCI Fee Payment Deadline for your first quarter abroad.
- This form is not required for summer participants.
- This form is not required for international students (ie. F visa or J visa holders). Go to the International Center for your instructions.
Withdrawing from IOP
If you decide that you cannot participate on IOP, inform your IOP program and the UCI Study Abroad Center so we can update our records.
If you have any questions, refer to our Contacts Guide for IOP Participants so that you know who to contact to get your questions answered.