In This Edition:
On-Campus Leadership - Share your insights from abroad
Extend Your International Learning
Your Future is Global
Connect with UCI Students who Share your Interests
Share your Experience Abroad with Others
Visit the Returnee Webpage
To all the graduating Anteaters who’ve been abroad:
The Study Abroad Center Staff wishes you the best in your next stage in life. May there always be some “international” in it! Thanks for the contributions you have made at UCI to it becoming a place of global inquiry, knowledge, and understanding.
Attention: All Students – graduating or continuing – Please complete UCUES!!
Prizes to win!! Tell us how UCit on the University of California Undergraduate Experience Survey (UCUES) and have the chance to win gift cards for Starbucks, In-N-Out and Amazon. Survey closes on June 30, 2016, but more chances to win if you complete it early!
Attention: graduating seniors:
Distinguish Yourself at Graduation – Get a Country Sash – Order by May 13
Show your global pride at graduation and make your international experience visible! Accent your cap and gown with a Country Sash! Order through the Study Abroad Center for the discounted price:
You can check out the sashes here but be sure to order through the Study Abroad Center in order to receive the discount price.
On-Campus Leadership - Share what you learned abroad with fellow UCI students
Develop your leadership skills, share international and global insights and knowledge with fellow UCI students while earning money, academic credit and/or developing professional skills. Apply for the following on-campus positions during spring or summer.
- UTeach – Share what you learned abroad by teaching your own seminar to fellow UCI students. Apply by May 13
- Diversity Abroad Campus Fellow - Share your study abroad experience with diverse groups of students under the auspices of the national organization, Diversity Abroad. Apply by May 13 at 2:00pm.
- Global Connect Internship – Teach global issues to high school students in Orange County and earn units. Apply by May 16 (extended deadline)
- Study Abroad Center Peer Advisor – Paid position. Help UCI students study abroad. Share your wisdom, tips and experience. Details of the position are on the web. Application available in June.
- Generation Study Abroad Ambassador – Share YOUR study abroad experience with diverse groups of students on and off campus. Watch for information late in the summer on how to join for 2016-17.
- EAP Exchange Partner - Be a mentor and friend to an international exchange student who will be studying abroad at UCI in the fall. Help these students make the most of their study abroad experience. Apply in late summer.
Extend Your International Learning
Returnee Seminar: Study Abroad Experiential Learning - Enroll for fall quarter!
In this 1.0 unit P/NP seminar exclusively for study abroad returnees you will reflect on your study abroad experience in a meaningful way; learn to market your study abroad experience for graduate schools or jobs; and much more. To enroll, email email@example.com to request an authorization code. In the email include your name and the country and time period when you studied abroad.
Undergraduate Research Opportunities Program (UROP)
Did an international topic spark your interest while abroad? Plan a faculty-mentored research project on your international area of interest. Opportunities are available to apply for research funding, for publication in the UCI Undergraduate Research Journal, and to present your research at the annual UCI Undergraduate Research Symposium. Contact UROP to learn how to get started. See fellow students present their research at UCI’s Undergraduate Research Symposium on May 14, 2016.
Global Leadership Certificate Program (GLCP)
Discover what it means to be a leader in a global context. Get involved at UCI and abroad. Develop leadership skills and put them into action! This certificate program can help set you apart as you transition from undergrad to the professional world. For more information check us out on the web link above.
Internships in Washington D.C. (UCDC) or Sacramento (UCCS)
You've gained valuable experience and transferable skills abroad - now use those skills while gaining hands-on work experience interning in a globally-focused internship. Internships are available in virtually any field, including internship sites such as Amnesty International, Interpol, Center for International Policy, Center for Strategic and International Studies, Citizens for Global Solutions, US State Department, and many more!
- UCDC Info Session: Wednesday, May 11, 4pm, SSII, Room 1002
For more info, check out the websites above or contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 949-824-5400.
- UCDC Winter 2017 Deadline: Sunday, May 15, 1016
Your Future is Global
Graduate School funding opportunity: National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowship Information Session
Who: Majors in sciences, engineering, or social sciences
When: May 11, 3:00 – 4:30pm
Where: Humanities Gateway 1030
The NSF offers seniors a stipend of $46,000 per year for three years for graduate study toward a research-based MS or Ph.D. in the sciences, engineering, or social sciences. A full list of eligible degrees is available here. This interactive session presented by Dr. Lori E. Greene will cover an overview of the application components, with special focus on what to include in the research proposal and the personal statement. Dr. Lori E. Greene is the Director of Research Development for the School of Physical Sciences and has been on selection committees for the NSF in the past. For more information: (949) 824-0189 or email email@example.com.
Teach English Abroad. Prepare through UCI Extension TEFL Certificate
Teaching English abroad is a great way start a new career and gain global experience. Your adventures abroad continue when you complete UCI Extension’s 10-week summer intensive program. Valuable benefits include the opportunity to interact with visiting international students, job referral assistance, and post-program staff support. To learn more, attend a free information session on campus: Reserve your space! Or for more information, contact Roger Dupuy at firstname.lastname@example.org or (949) 824-9951.
- Thursday, May 28, 4:00-5:00 pm
- Friday, May 29, 3:30-4:30 pm
Connect with Students at UCI who Share your Interests
Communication Club (conversation partners) – Partners needed during Summer Session!
Meet international students from around the world. Practice a language you are learning. Introduce an international student to American culture and help them with their English. Meet based on your own schedule. For more information, contact Communication Club at (949) 824-8530 or email@example.com
International Studies Club
The International Studies Club is an academic club designed to integrate students from all backgrounds who share a common interest in the global arena. From areas of public health assistance, governance and public policy to anthropology and culture. ISC incorporates academic events that focus on global issues, societies and cultures and students can come together to synthesize opinions and ideas. The synergistic club is designed for all students of UCI, regardless of major.
iClub (International Club)
Make friends from all over the world! The International Club is a social club designed to bring together international students and domestic students through activities, events and excursions. Find details on Facebook link above.
International Coffee Hour
Fridays, 10:30am-12:00pm, Counseling Center, Student Services I
Co-hosted by the International Center and the Counseling Center, International Coffee Hour is an opportunity for international and domestic students to engage in conversations, create friendships, share their culture, and to connect with the UCI community in a casual and comfortable environment.
Share Your Experience Abroad with Others
Are you tired of talking about your time abroad with friends and family and seeing their eyes glaze over? Below are some ways for you to get a captive audience and share about your experiences with people who want to hear it.
- Join Us On Facebook & Instagram Show UCI students what YOU did abroad! Post your photos, videos, blogs, stories, and more. This is an easy way to promote study abroad at UCI and could quite possibly inspire someone else to take their journey!
- Be in the Student Spotlight on our home page. We would love to include YOUR story. Take a look at the short list of questions on EEE and respond to those that pertain to you. These Student Spotlights motivate UC Irvine students of today and tomorrow to follow in your foot-steps and make the life-changing decision to study abroad!