Be a Study Abroad Center Peer Advisor
BE A PEER ADVISOR FOR UCI'S STUDY ABROAD CENTER!
This page applies ONLY to current undergraduate students at the University of California, Irvine.
The application deadline for the 2016-17 academic year has passed.
Peer Advisors are selected each year in August. Check back in late-June 2017 for the new application.
ARE YOU LOOKING FOR AN ON-CAMPUS JOB THAT:
Allows you to share your enthusiasm for going abroad?
Increases your knowledge of international opportunities?
Allows you to interact with students, staff and faculty?
Allows you to be innovative and creative?
Allows you to develop new skills?
Looks great on a resume and makes you more competitive for the job search?
THEN WE HAVE THE JOB FOR YOU!!
“This is a job that you do to make you feel good. There's nothing like being stopped by a person while on campus, or even off campus, and being referred to as the guy/girl who spoke in my class, or the guy/girl who works at the Study Abroad Center, and then hearing their story about where they're going to go abroad. You are really helping people make life-changing decisions.”- former peer advisor
The mission of the Study Abroad Center is to foster a culture at UCI in which study abroad is expected and achievable for all students. By hiring Peer Advisors who share our vision, we’ve created a place where people enjoy coming to work!
Peer Advisors at the UCI Study Abroad Center are UCI students who have returned from study, work, internship, volunteer, research or teaching programs in a foreign country. Peer Advisors assist the Study Abroad Center with outreach, publicity, and advising for the various opportunities abroad that are available to UCI students.
- Number of Positions available: 7*
* Students with work-study are strongly encouraged to apply.
* Preference is given to returnees from programs held during the academic year.
Training & Time Commitment:
1) Attend the entire week of training from September 12-16, 2016, 9am-1pm (Tues. & Thurs. until 2pm) daily
2) Begin working starting Welcome Week: September 19-23, 2016.
3) Attend our weekly Peer Advisor Meeting on Wednesdays from 5-6pm beginning September 21, 2016.
4) Work the entire academic year, September to June.
We are seeking dedicated peer advisors who can commit to working 15-20 hours per week. While your weekly schedule will be set around your availability and interests each quarter, it should be understood that the majority of scheduled hours will take place Monday-Friday between 9am-4pm (although some work activities may occur outside of these hours). Most hours will take place in the office (e.g. 10 hours per week of walk-in advising, administrative duties, staff meetings, etc.) and some hours will take place outside the office (e.g. 5-10 hours per week doing outreach in some capacity: class announcements, holding advising hours in other offices/parts of campus, dorm presentations, special outreach projects, etc.).
- Advise prospective students interested in opportunities abroad
- Organize and execute presentations to classes, dorms and student groups
- Create and distribute outreach materials (e.g. fliers, posters, a-frames, videos, etc.)
- Promote study abroad at campus events
- Assist students in understanding the application and pre-departure processes
- Assist with pre-departure orientations
- General office support (e.g. filing, making copies, etc.)
Experiences and Skills Required:
- Previous experience abroad - study, work, internship, volunteer, research and/or teaching
- Demonstrated passion for study abroad. Able to articulate why you believe study abroad to be valuable and important.
- Strong public speaking skills (50% of job)
- Ability to learn and communicate complex information and processes
At Least One of the Below is Also Required:
- Customer service experience
- Peer advising experience
- Experience organizing events
- Experience independently carrying out projects
- Marketing experience
$11.25 per hour.
How to Apply:
The Peer Advisor Application consists of the following items, all of which must be submitted by the deadline. The application deadline for the 2016-17 academic year has passed. Peer Advisors are selected each year in August. Check back in late-June 2017 for the new application.
- On-line Application
IMPORTANT NOTES: (1) The on-line application requires you to list two references. Be prepared to provide their name, contact information (phone and/or e-mail), and relation to you (e.g. supervisor, professor, mentor, etc.) Work references are preferred. (2) Given that you cannot save/exit the EEE application and that the system may log you out after a certain length of time, you are encouraged to open the EEE application, review the short-answer questions, write your responses in a word document and then copy and paste your responses into the appropriate fields when you are ready to submit.
- Anteaters Abroad Post. Imagine you only have one brief opportunity to tell students at UCI what your study abroad experience meant to you, and why you think they should study abroad too! What would you say? Go to our Anteaters Abroad page on Facebook www.facebook.com/anteatersabroad and do ONE of the following:
- In 140 characters or less (similar to a post on Twitter), tell UCI students why they should study abroad! Be sure to draw upon your own study abroad experience. Along with the comment, attach a photo of you doing something abroad that you could not have done here at UCI.
- Submit a link to a specific blog entry, video, or prezi, etc. that you created that best showcases your abroad experience(s).
Applicants who are selected for an interview will be contacted via e-mail or phone sometime between August 24-26, 2016. Note: If you are selected for an interview, be prepared to supply your Fall Quarter 2016 class schedule, and give specific examples during the interview that demonstrate the relevant skills you possess and how you have acquired them. Hiring decisions will be sent on or around September 6th, 2016.