Independent International Activities

UCI graduate & professional students and UCI undergraduate students

Per the UCI Policy for Student International Activities of January 2020, all UCI students involved in an international activity that takes place “anywhere outside of the geographic borders of the United States” are required to complete a risk assessment and register their travel for their Independent International Activity. This process is distinct from applying to study abroad with UCEAP, other UC Programs, and Independent Programs operated by non-UCI third-party providers.

This process involved multiple steps that can take between 2-4 weeks to complete, so plan accordingly.

Part 1: To begin your international risk assessment, follow these steps to have your activity reviewed by the UCI Global Risk Manager:

  • Step 1: Login in to the UCI Abroad portal using your UCInetID.
  • Step 2: Complete a profile if you haven’t yet – for Affiliation, click on “UCI Independent International Activity Participant”
  • Step 3: Once logged in, click on “Apply Here” on the top bar.
  • Step 4: Find the program “International Independent Activity” (best if you put the full program name in the keyword search)
  • Step 5: Select the correct term you are traveling for your Independent Activities and complete the application. Don’t forget to press the “Submit” button to complete your submission.
  • Step 6: Once completed, email Mark Beirn (he/him), Global Risk Manager, to confirm your submission and schedule a pre-departure orientation meeting. Your risk assessment will be reviewed by the Global Risk Manager after you submit it. It will either be approved or returned for more details.

Part 2:

  • Step 7: Once approved, you will be prompted to upload or enter the following:
    • a copy of your passport or travel document,
    • flight travel itinerary,
    • confirmation of enrollment in the UC Travel Insurance,
    • sign a liability waiver, and
    • provide emergency contact information for 3 people.
    • This should be completed at least two weeks prior to departure.
    • The documents saved in your UCI Abroad portal will also serve as a repository in case you need to access them while abroad.

How do I know if I need to complete the international risk assessment?

The umbrella for such activities is quite capacious and includes all activities abroad as defined by the UCI Policy for Student International Activities that are:

  1. offered by UCI, including those conducted for a group and those available to individual Students. All UCI courses, including independent study, are included in this category;
  2. formally recognized by UCI, including independent research and volunteer activities that may be used to satisfy degree requirements or included in scholarly works such as theses and dissertations;
  3. offered by UCI Affiliates. For example, UCI Students are eligible to participate because of a contractual relationship between UCI and an affiliated entity, including those activities conducted as a group and those available to individual Students; and
  4. offered by entities not affiliated with UCI. For example, Students participating directly with an Independent Program Provider; UCI department-sponsored international activities (research, conference, internship, etc.)

When in doubt, register your activity.