The COVID-19 pandemic has had a tremendous impact on students’ ability to participate in study abroad programs, but UCI students are more determined than ever to have a global experience by pursuing virtual programs and preparing to study abroad once travel can safely resume.
Every dollar makes an immediate and lasting impact on UCI students, whose study abroad experiences will help them affect positive change in the world, both locally and globally. With 75% of UCI students being offered some form of financial aid, the program fees and travel costs represent a significant barrier for many students.
Here are some examples of how your donation can provide access to study abroad & make a positive impact on a student’s experience:
- $25 = Allows a student to attend a cultural event while abroad
- $75 = Provides a one-month transit pass while studying abroad
- $150 = Pays the processing fee for a U.S. passport
- $300 = Pays for textbooks & academic materials abroad
- $450 = Covers meals for one month abroad
- $500 = Covers a one-way flight to their study abroad destination
- $1,000 = Covers round-trip airfare to study abroad destination
- $1,500 = Replaces student work-study income they don’t receive while abroad
- $2,500 = Replaces the average student loan for one study abroad semester
To date, all donations help to support the Friends of Study Abroad Scholarship fund. Scholarships to individual students range from $800 to $1,500. As our scholarship resources increase we will be able to increase both the number of awards and the amount of individual awards.
If you would like to discuss or plan your giving, please contact:
Jeanne d’Arc Gomis
Director, Study Abroad Center