Study Abroad Participants: Independent Programs

After applying through the UCIAbroad portal, you will receive an email from the UCI Study Abroad Center ( entitled “Study Abroad Application Recorded”. At that point, you must complete the following steps:

  1. Complete the post-acceptance/pre-departure section within the UCI Abroad portal.
  2. Attend the Study Abroad Center pre-departure orientation the quarter before you depart. You will receive an email invitation once the dates and times are set.

Fulfilling Degree Requirements

Independent Programs Approved for Financial Aid: Once you apply in the UCIAbroad portal, you will receive next steps for determining how courses will fulfill your degree requirements. This includes an Academic Planning Tool you need to complete that will be routed to your School for approval.

For all other Independent Programs (not approved for financial aid), credit and fulfillment of degree requirements are determined upon return.

If you have any questions, contact us.