UCEAP Reciprocity

Welcome to UCI! We hope your preparations for your time at UC Irvine are going well. We understand that you will be sent a lot of information from a variety of offices at UCI – this can be very confusing!  That is why we have tried to put all of the important information you need as an EAP Reciprocity Student on this web site.  If you are confused about anything, FIRST, please read this site carefully to see if your questions have already been answered.  Then, if you still have questions, contact the Study Abroad Center for assistance!

You may also visit the official EAP Information on Reciprocal Exchanges site for more information on the University of California’s Reciprocity Program.

 Fall 2021Winter 2022Spring 2022
Schedule of classes availableSchedule of Classes AvailableMay 1October 30February 5
View date and time of enrollment window

Available in WebReg or StudentAccess
Continuing Students: May 10

New Students: Check WebReg as soon as you receive and activate your UCInet ID
Continuing Students: November 8

New Students: Check WebReg as soon as you receive and activate your UCInet ID
Continuing Students: February 14

New Students: Check WebReg as soon as you receive and activate your UCInet ID
Enroll in classes by window*New Students: Starting Jun 7
Continuing Students: May 17
New and Continuing Students: Starting November 15
New and Continuing Students: Starting February 21
Open Enrollment June 2 - September 15
September 20 - October 8
December 1 - 15
December 20 - January 14
March 9 -15
March 18 - April 8
18-unit enrollment limit liftedSeptember 1 at 12:00pmDecember 20 at 12:00pmMarch 18 at 12:00pm
Submit UCSHIP Waiver to avoid $50 late waiver feeSeptember 10December 13March 7
Classes beginSeptember 23January 3March 28
Last day to add, drop, or change the grading option for a classOctober 8January 14April 8
Last day of classesDecember 3March 11June 3
Final examinationsDecember 4-10March 12-18June 4-9

*Each student is assigned a 48 hour enrollment window. When the window opens, a student can access WebReg for 48 hours. After the 48 hours, that student can access WebReg only between 7 p.m. and 7 a.m. (down time 4 a.m.-6 p.m.). Once all enrollment windows are open, Open Enrollment begins at 7 p.m. that day.

International Center Check-In: Complete process as soon as possible upon arrival

You will register for courses towards the end of the quarter before. New incoming students are considered “New Transfer Student” for registration purposes.  If you are staying at UCI for more than one quarter, you will be considered a “Continuing Student” after your first quarter.

You are required to enroll in a minimum of 12 units (normally 3 courses) each quarter. This is both a requirement of your visa and UCEAP. Most students enroll in 12-16 units each quarter (3-4 courses).

Step 1: View and Select Courses

View the Schedule of Classes, select the term and department name then click on the “Display Web Results” button. You can write down the course code (first column on the left) for the classes you plan to enroll in.

Here are a few things to look out for as you explore classes:

  • Class Type – “Type” (second column from the left) as some classes will have a lecture (“Lec”) and a discussion section (“Dis”) or a lab (“Lab”)
  • Restrictions – “Rstr”(fourth column from the right) indicates if the class has required prerequisites** (code A) or are restricted to only students in that major (L) or school (N)

You may also access the UCI General Catalogue on-line for course descriptions. Remember not all courses in the catalogue are offered each quarter and some may not be offered at all.

If you need help selecting classes, contact the designated reciprocity Academic Counselor in your school. Please explain that you are a UCEAP Reciprocity student coming to UCI. These Academic Counselors will not be able to advise you on the equivalency of UCI courses to your home university, but they can provide assistance regarding details of courses offered here.  You can also access the list Undergraduate Academic Counseling Offices.

The School of Humanities also offers Academic English courses for non-native English speakers interested in improving their English skills.

Step 2: Enroll in courses

You will be assigned an “Enrollment Window” – the date you can begin enrolling in classes.  Use WebReg or StudentAccess to view your enrollment window (see the Quarterly Academic Calendar or the Important Dates section above to determine when your enrollment window will be available). Enrollment in your desired courses is not guaranteed; to increase your chances of enrolling in your desired course,  we recommend that you enroll in classes as soon as your enrollment window opens. Please note, you need to activate your UCInetID BEFORE using WebReg of StudentAccess.

Review all course enrollment instructions carefully before attempting to enroll. This video on enrolling in classes and definitions of terms from the Registrar may also be helpful. The SOC also contains instructions on how to enroll in lecture and discussion sections.

Students arriving in Fall Quarter may receive information about summer academic advising sessions — you are NOT required to attend these due to your exchange student status. If you emailed about this, contact your department and explain that you are a UCEAP Reciprocity. Failure to correct this may result in a hold being placed on your record , whereby you will not be allowed to enroll in classes in subsequent quarters.

**Enrolling in Courses with Restrictions :

You may not be allowed to enroll in certain classes due to a restriction, such as a prerequisite requirement. However, you may be able to get approval to enroll  from the department’s and/or professor. To determine if a course has a restriction, look in the Schedule of Classes (SOC) under the “Rstr” column and see if there is a restriction code. The key to the restriction codes is at the bottom of each page. You can also look in the UCI General Catalogue to find out the title and description of the prerequisite course for each course you wish to take.


If you can demonstrate that you have sufficient knowledge of the subject to take the class (e.g. you have taken similar classes at your home university), you should be able to add the class without having taken the specific prerequisite at UCI.

If you wish to add a class with a prerequisite that you believe you have fulfilled at your home university:

A. Email the Academic Counselor in the School that is offering the course. Some Academic Counselors can either waive prerequisites on your behalf, or determine if you meet the prerequisite and allow you access to the course. Please only contact ONE academic counselor at a time. Use the Template for Prerequisite Clearance Request when emailing them.

B. If you are not successful getting approval from an academic counselor, you can contact the professor of the course before you arrive. Search for the professor’s name in the UCI Directory to obtain their contact information and request their permission to add the course.  They may ask about your background in the subject, so be prepared to e-mail/fax a transcript and/or course descriptions of previous courses you have taken. Please note, some professors are on vacation over the summer/winter holidays and/or are unavailable.

C. If you don’t hear from the professor before the quarter begins, you can wait until you arrive and talk to the professor in person. Bring relevant course descriptions and evidence of classes you have taken at your home university, as described above, so that the professor may evaluate your background in the subject.


Due to a lack of space in specific classes, some are restricted to “majors only”. If you are not admitted into the major at UCI, you most likely will not be allowed to take that class.


  • WAITLIST: You may be unable to enroll in a course because it has reached maximum capacity, but some departments may active a waitlist for specific courses to allow students the opportunity to request a seat in the class should space become available
  • OPEN ENROLLMENT: During the second open enrollment period (see Quarterly Academic Calendar), you may still able able to add your courses.
  • Upon Arrival at UCI:  If you are still unable to get access, reach out to Ashley (ashley.arvanites@uci.edu)


A few classes (ex: some Film Studies classes) may have additional fees associated with the class, as noted as code “C” in the “Rstr” column. These fees are NOT included in your UCEAP exchange and you are responsible for paying these fees yourself upon arrival to UCI. The fees will be billed to your ZotAccount.

If you have problems or questions about enrolling in courses, contact the UCEAP Reciprocity Advisor at UCI, Ashley Arvanites at ashley.arvanites@uci.edu.

The Student Housing web site contains profiles of both on-campus and off-campus housing options available to UCI student. You may e-mail the Student Housing Office directly (housing@uci.edu) regarding both on-campus and off-campus housing questions.

NOTE: Only students arriving in Fall quarter for 3 quarters and students arriving in Winter quarter for 2 quarters are eligible to apply for on-campus housing, but it is not guaranteed. You will need to activate your UCInetID BEFORE you can apply for housing.

To review your housing options and procedures, select the appropriate choice below:

Important Notes:

  • Please review the UCI Off Campus Housing page to avoid scams and fraud when searching for housing.
  • If you leave your housing before the end of the agreement, you may be subject to a cancellation fee. Check all terms and conditions.
  • If you apply for more than one housing option, accept only one.  You will be financially responsible for all agreements you accept.

UCEAP Reciprocity students are NOT required to pay UCI Registration Fees, however, all students ARE automatically assessed the mandatory Health Insurance Fee. In some cases, you may also be responsible for laboratory fees, studio fees, etc. In order for your registration fees to be waived on your UCI Zot Account, the Study Abroad Center will input an electronic “fee waiver” as follows:

Registration Fees: Waived about two weeks before the UCI fee payment deadline for each quarter you will be attending UCI.

Health Insurance Fee: ** All students attending UCI are required to have health insurance ** Undergraduate students are insured by the Student Health Insurance Plan (UC SHIP). Graduate Students are insured by the Graduate Student Health Insurance Plan (GSHIP). Coverage details can be found here. All registered students can go to the Student Health Center (SHC) for medical treatment. Information about their services can be found on their website. SHC will also send you information describing the UCI entrance examinations required of all incoming students. Read that material carefully and follow any instructions that are given. You will need to provide your immunization records to UCI either before you leave or upon arrival, so be sure to obtain this information, in English, from your doctor.

You are responsible for either 1) paying for health insurance or 2) obtaining a health insurance waiver.


If you wish to use the UCI insurance (recommended), you will need to pay your health insurance fee before you arrive to UCI by logging into your Zot Account.

The 2021-22 cost of UC SHIP is $654.06 per quarter. The GSHIP fee is $1,560.22 per quarter.

You are responsible for making this payment each quarter! The deadlines to pay your health insurance fee are the same as the fee payment deadline and can be found here.


If you have your own health insurance and wish to apply for an exemption from the UCI health insurance, your insurance MUST meet ALL of the criteria specified on the waiver application. If it does, complete the waiver, include the necessary documentation, and submit it by the deadline. Waiver applications can be found here. If your insurance is not approved for an exemption, you will need to be prepared to pay the health insurance fee. The deadlines to apply for a waiver for 2021-2022 can be found here.

Educ Technology Fee: The non-refundable eTech Fee is required of all students, including reciprocity students and is used to support the maintenance and improvement of existing education technology, and new services and capabilities. The eTech fee is listed separately, as the charged amount varies based on the amount of undergraduate units the student is enrolled in and is assessed later in the term than the other fees listed. The fee is $4 per unit of undergraduate lecture course, up to a maximum amount of $60 (or 15 units) per quarter. It will be assessed after the third week of instruction.

Every UCI student is assigned an account which provides free e-mail access. To use your UCI e-mail account, you need to Activate your UCInetID. E-mail is the primary method of communication between the Study Abroad Center and reciprocity students. You are required to have and regularly read e-mail. Without it, you will miss crucial information!

To set up your UCI email, go to the New Student Setup.

Upon Arrival

  • iNavigate Visa Check In
  • Obtain your student ID card
  • Banking information
  • Cell phone information

iNavigate VISA CHECK IN:

As a new J-1 international student, you must complete the International Center Visa Check-in Process – iNavigateUCI. iNavigateUCI is the International Center’s electronic visa check-in process.

This process is required for all new international students who have ARRIVED IN THE U.S. It is used to report your arrival to the Department of Homeland Security and to “activate” your SEVIS record. The iNavigateUCI process is paperless.  After completing iNavigateUCI, you do NOT need to submit any documents for check-in to the International Center, unless you have received a request from our office.

iNavigateUCI must be completed within 5 days of the PROGRAM START DATE on your DS-2019 visa document.


Upon arrival at UCI, you will need to obtain your UCI photo ID card. Check out the Student Affairs Page for more information about how to avoid delays receiving your new ID card, upload your photo and supporting identification as soon as possible, as the photo approval process does take some time. You can also see the Photo ID FAQs.

How to upload your photo

1. Go to MyPhotoID.uci.edu and log in using your UCInetID.

2. Upload your photo according to the requirements guidelines and tutorial below.

3. When processing is complete, review your photo. You have the opportunity to select another photo at this time. When satisfied, select Submit.

4. Next, submit a scan or photo of your government-issued ID as a supporting document. Government-issued ID examples: passport, driver license or a state-issued ID 

5. Allow at least 1-2 weeks for your request to be processed. 

When your photo is approved, you will be notified by e-mail with instructions for picking up your card when you arrive on campus.

Campus ID Card FAQs

To do so, go to the UCI Bookstore (the Hill) in the UCI Student Center. Bring your student ID number.


Bank Bank of America Wells Fargo Chase
Address 4101 MacArthur Blvd.
Newport Beach, CA 92660(949) 477-2909
UCI Student Center
Next to UCItems(949) 823-9722
4543 Campus Dr.
Irvine, CA 92612(949) 854-8122

$25 deposit

$50 deposit

$25 deposit

Savings Account $300 minimum balance $100 minimum balance $300 minimum balance
ATM Options ATM located on UCI campus Bank & ATM located on UCI campus ATM located on UCI campus
Debit Card




International Wire Transfer Fee:
In: $10
Out (US): $45
Out (foreign): $35
In: $10
Out (US): $30
Out (foreign): $20
In: $15
Out (US): $25
Out (foreign): $45 ($40 foreign fee if done online)
To Open an Account, Take the Following: Passport and Student ID (or a major credit card) Passport and Student ID (or a major credit card or passport with visa) Passport and Student ID (passport with visa is ok)


Company AT&T T-Mobile Verizon
Address 17675 Harvard Ave. Ste. B
Irvine, CA 92614(949) 622-8240
4237 Campus Dr, Ste B158 Irvine, CA 92612

(949) 509-7413

*Closest to campus (in UTC)

2981 Michelson Dr. #A
Irvine, CA 92612(949) 756-3515

The International Center is a separate office that works with all international students and scholars at UCI.  All visa and immigration-related questions should be directed to the International Center. You can find their contact information here or visit them in the Student Center South Building in G302 (map).

You will soon receive additional information from the International Center about your DS-2019 and other necessary steps. Read all information carefully and follow any instructions given.

You must complete the online International Center Visa Check-in Process – iNavigateUCI upon arrival in the US. After completing iNavigateUCI, you do NOT need to submit any documents for check-in to the International Center, unless you have received a request from our office. iNavigateUCI must be completed within 5 days of the PROGRAM START DATE on your DS-2019 visa document.

If you plan to travel outside the U.S. during your program, be sure to take the necessary steps to obtain travel signatures from the UCI International Center.  You need to complete and submit the Student Visa Document Request Form with a copy of your most current I-94 to the Student Request Upload tool. You can retrieve your I-94 if by visiting the following link: https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/#/home. Please note: the processing time is 7 business days, so please plan ahead! 

  • UCEAP Reciprocity Orientation (Required) – Winter 2021Wednesday, January 5 from 2:00pm-3:30pmStudent Services Building II (SS2) Room 1010AB – UCI Interactive Map and Google map

Description: The Study Abroad Center and partners from across campus will address topics ranging from enrollment & academics, campus fees, health and safety, career services, transportation, immigration, student ID cards, events, and much more.

EAP Exchange Partner Meeting (Optional)

Your advisor will be in touch with you via email to discuss this program.

Come meet other reciprocity students as well as study abroad returnees. Use these connections to help get integrated here at UCI and build your community!

IMPORTANT! You must update your address, phone number, or e-mail address with the Admissions Office ANYTIME there is a change. This is critical as numerous offices on campus (Housing, Student Health, etc.) use this information to get in contact or send important documents to you.

1. Go to Student Access and click on “Change of Address.”

2. Login by using your UCInetID* and password.

3. Update your address, phone number or email address.

*Make sure you activate your UCInetID before making any updates


Flights to southern California

  • John Wayne Santa Ana International Airport (SNA) – Orange County → 8 mins from UCI
  • Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) – Larger airport → ~50 mins from UCI

Getting from the Airport to UCI or your housing/hotel

Private Vehicles/Rideshare Options

    1. Uber & Lyft – popular rideshare apps for your phone
    2. LAyellowcab – rates available online & phone number to schedule a pick up time
    3. Prime Time Shuttle only offering private cars due to COVID → prearrange online
    4. Super Shuttle – only offering private cars due to COVID → prearrange online

Bus + Train from LAX

    1. Flyawaybus – Bus from LAX to Union Station in LA (buses and train depot)
    2. Amtrak – Pacific Surfliner train from LA Union Station (train station code: LAX) to Irvine (IRV)
    3. Taxi or rideshare or private vehicle to UCI/Housing 

Plan to have your destination address written out/ready for the driver to pre-book or when you arrive. If you are living on-campus, you can ask at one of the information booths on campus how to get to your housing assignment. If you arrive before your housing is available, you will need to go to a hotel instead.

The Study Abroad Center is located in Student Services II (number 105 on the “Main Campus” map). You will find directions to our office as well as all of our contact information and hours on the web. For additional maps, click here.


Once you arrive at UCI, there are multiple ways of getting around.

  • OCTA: Orange County’s public bus system. If you plan to use the bus often, consider purchasing a “University Pass.”
  • Anteater Express Shuttles: Includes routes around the campus community and to off-campus destinations. Many routes are free.
  • Zipcar: Car rental program at UCI.
  • ZotWheels: UCI’s bicycle rental program.
  • Taxi: Call ahead if you need a taxi!
  • Train: Travel to Los Angeles, San Diego, and other destinations.
  • Uber & Lyft: Popular rideshare apps (on-demand or pre-scheduled)

The Study Abroad Center’s International Exchange Partner Program is available to all UCEAP Reciprocity students who will be coming to study at UCI.

The program pairs you with a UCI student to help you adapt to life and thrive during your time at UCI.  Your partner will serve as your connection to campus, share helpful insights and resources, explain how things work on campus, and be available to answer any questions you have. Participation is voluntary, and you can determine how much you would like to connect with your partner once you are paired up.

How does the program work?

  • Complete this form by December 15, 2021 to express interest.
  • We will work to pair students based on your responses and connect you with your partner in September.
  • Once you have connected with your partner you can determine how often you want to connect and your level of engagement.

Thank you for your interest in the program.  If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Ashley Arvanites (ashley.arvanites@uci.edu).

Here is information on a few important topics as you prepare to return to your home campus:

  • Student Check Out Form: You must notify the International Center of your departure by uploading your student check out formPlease note there is 7-business day processing period, so plan ahead.
  • Transcripts. EAP will arrange to have one (1) official transcript sent to your home university. If you would like your own official copy for your personal records, please follow the instructions on the Registrar’s website. You may also access your unofficial transcript on the web via Student Access until 60 days after you are no longer a UCI student.
  • Incomplete Work. Do not leave UCI with any incomplete work in your courses. Make sure that any changes you have made to your schedule (adds, drops, grading options, etc.) have been changed officially on your transcript. You may check Student Access on the web to do so.
  • Unpaid Bills. Do not leave UCI with any unpaid bills (library, housing, etc.). Any outstanding bills may result in a hold being placed on the release of your transcript. You may check your ZotAccount on line to see if you have an outstanding bill.
  • UCI Email. You will be able to use your UCI email for one year following the conclusion of your program

Congratulations on completing an unforgettable adventure! We know that you have had exciting, wonderful, sad, funny, unforgettable and – most of all – enriching experiences. We also know that there can be challenges to readjusting to life back home. For information on readjustment, we strongly recommend that you read the following links:

We wish you a safe journey home!! Stop by the Study Abroad Center to say goodbye!