This page applies ONLY to current undergraduate students at the University of California, Irvine for the academic year 2021-2022. The application is closed and will re-open for the 2022-2023 academic year in spring quarter.
Interested in encouraging and supporting students to pursue a global experience?
This “on-campus” job allows you to share your enthusiasm for global experiences and increases your knowledge of international education opportunities! As a peer advisor, you will advise and motivate students to go abroad as well as interact with our staff and faculty.
Our peer advisor position is great if you are looking to develop new skills as well utilize your innovation and creativity. Not only do you get to share your past global experiences with students, but it also looks great on a resume!
Apply to join our Study Abroad Center team!
“This is a job that you do to make you feel good. There’s nothing like being stopped by a person while on campus, or even off campus, and being referred to as the student who spoke in my class, or the one who works at the Study Abroad Center, and then hearing their story about where they’re going to go abroad. You are really helping people make life-changing decisions.”- former Peer Advisor
The mission of the Study Abroad Center is to foster a culture at UCI in which study abroad is expected and achievable for all students. By hiring Peer Advisors who share our vision, we’ve created an exciting, supportive and enjoyable place to work!
Under the supervision of the Lead Advisor for Outbound Programs, Study Abroad Peer Advisors support the mission of the UCI Study Abroad Center. Peer Advisors are UCI students who have participated in a study, work, internship, volunteer, research or teaching program in a foreign country or have other global interests, passions, and experiences. Peer Advisors assist with outreach, recruitment, advising, and general administrative duties and support.
Given current circumstances, we are planning for most work hours to be virtual with the option to potentially have some in-person hours as guidelines permit (we will be flexible). While Peer Advisor’s weekly schedule can be set based on availability and interests, it should be understood that the majority of scheduled hours will be Monday-Friday between 10am-4pm PST. There will be some work activities that occur outside of these hours (e.g. orientations, class outreach, open dialogues, special projects).
Number of Positions available: 6
Required Time Commitment & Training:
- Commitment to work the entire academic year, September to June.
- Work hours per week: 10
- Attend the entire week of virtual training the week before Welcome Week 2021: Monday, September 13, 2021 – Friday, September 17, 2021 (tentatively 9 am-2 pm).
- Begin working Welcome Week, September 20 – September 24, 2021
- Attend weekly Peer Advisor Meetings.
- Organize and execute presentations for classes, dorms, students groups, campus events, and assist with study abroad fairs
- Create and distribute marketing materials and host information tables
- Prospective students interested in global opportunities
- Participants in understanding the pre-departure process
- Assist with pre-departure orientations
- Returning students on policies, processes, and resources available
- General administrative duties and support
- Respond to emails, data collection, etc
Required Experiences and Skills:
- Global experience – study abroad, work abroad, internship abroad, volunteer abroad, research abroad, teaching abroad (whether in-person or virtual programs) or other global experience/passion.
- Ability to articulate why global experiences are valuable and important.
- Strong public speaking skills
- Ability to learn and communicate complex information and processes
- Patience and empathy when working with diverse populations
- Adaptability & flexibility
- At least one preferred experience from below
Preferred Experiences and Skills:
- Students with financial aid work-study awards
- Customer service experience
- Advising experience
- Marketing experience (e.g. social media, video production, graphic design)
- Excellent writing and communication skills
- Experience organizing and leading events
- Experience independently carrying out projects
How to Apply: